Meet Beate, our Secret Physicist…
25 Questions with Beate…
1. Who are you and what do you do at Tim Wendelboe?
Beate Øvland. I was a barista here for 6 years, now I am doing office work, mostly I’m in charge of the subscription every month, apart from that I do whatever Kristina (or Tim) needs help with.
2. How long have you worked here?
A little over 6 years.
3. Where do you come from?
4. What did you study / where did you work before coming here?
I worked at Kaffebrenneriet before working here. I have a bachelor’s degree in physics, and I am planning on taking a master’s degree eventually (in nuclear or atmospheric physics). I have also studied product design.
5. Do you remember what your first meeting / interview with Tim was like?
My first meeting was the interview. As I didn’t know much about him, I googled him and came across the mock-movie they had made, called The Craft. The day after I had the interview with both Tims. I felt like the most important question they asked me was whether or not I liked wine. I said yes. I got the job.
6. What is the best thing you love about the job?
My colleagues. They are the best and we have a lot of fun together.
7. What is the most challenging?
To know when you should NOT speak to Tim.
8. How would you describe Tim Wendelboe (the company) in one word?
9. How would you describe Tim Wendelboe (the person) in one word?
10. What is your favourite type of coffee to drink?
11. What is your next favourite beverage to drink?
12. Coffee is best with…?
An empty stomach.
13. What is the funniest / most embarrassing moment you’ve had at work?
I got confused one time during daylight savings switch, and started to close the shop one hour earlier, telling people at the door SORRY we closed at 17. And they’d be like, but it’s 16:05.. Oh.
14. What has been the most rewarding experience you’ve had at work?
Meeting all kinds of interesting people. Both colleagues and guests. Being invited to concerts by musicians, and to dinners at guest’s homes.
15. What do you do in your spare time, when you’re not working at Tim Wendelboe? Any special interests, hobbies, skills?
I love photography, I take a lot of pictures in nature, and I go to ”marka” as much as I can. I also play video-games.
16. If you weren’t working at Tim Wendelboe, what other career would you want to have?
17. What was your first ever impression of coffee?
I used to chew the beans as a kid.
18. What does an average day look like for you at Tim Wendelboe?
I come to work (usually 10 minutes late), make coffee, drink from my star-wars mug, and clean up/update the subscription files. I answer emails related to that, and pack webshop if needed. I eat a lot of nugatti for lunch (important).
19. What does coffee mean to you?
I need it every morning, I can’t function properly without it, but later in the day I prefer tea haha.
20. If you could travel to any one of our origin countries, which one would you pick?
Kenya perhaps. Truthfully, I prefer more extreme northern climates, and would love to go to Greenland or Svalbard.
21. Filter or Espresso?
22. Fruity or Chocolaty?
23. Do you have any guilty pleasures when it comes to drinking coffee outside of Tim Wendelboe, or are you a diehard Tim Wendelboe coffee drinker only?
Die hard fan.
24. There is a Japanese word called “ikigai” which means, “the reason you get out of bed in the morning”, i.e. what inspires you in life. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
Coffee. Actually though. I like to sit at my computer, reading about photography, physics or food and get inspired while drinking my coffee.
15. If you could have coffee with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
Kyle MacLachlan. He seems like such a good guy, and he loves coffee. Or Peter McKinnon, amazing photographer and lover of coffee as well.
That’s it’s and that’s all for now! We hope you enjoyed getting to know a little bit more about Beate. If you wish to get to know more of the people behind the scenes here at Tim Wendelboe, stay tuned by following us on Instagram (@timwendelboe) and Facebook. We will notify you when the next team story is ready for you to enjoy with your cup of coffee…