Meet Rikke, The Cat-Lover
25 Questions with Rikke…
1. Who are you and what do you do at Tim Wendelboe?
My name is Rikke, I work full time as a barista, I pack the subscription coffee every month and I am also responsible for the courses we offer. Sometimes I work events and help our wholesale customers out with calibration and visits too!
2. How long have you worked here?
I have worked here for 3 years.
3. Where do you come from?
I come from the western part of Oslo.
4. What did you study / where did you work before coming here?
I have worked with coffee and service for 9 years, and I have also studied sporadically.
5. Do you remember what your first meeting / interview with Tim was like?
I first went into Tim Wendelboe (the cafe, not the boss) a few years ago when I was living in Northern Norway at the time. It was summer and I ordered iced cappuccinos which blew my mind. Tim was quite the legend and I was even a little nervous going in to the shop for the first time! I first met Tim a couple years after that when I moved back to Oslo and got an interview here.
6. What is the best thing you love about the job?
My favourite part about this job is my amazing colleagues. They are my family and my closest friends and I love them to bits. I also adore the many regular customers that I have gotten to know over the years, I consider them my dear friends too.
7. What is the most challenging?
The most challenging part about working here is constantly reaching for new goals and trying to improve my own execution of all my tasks as well as making the whole team work together a little better every day.
8. How would you describe Tim Wendelboe (the company) in one word?
9. How would you describe Tim Wendelboe (the person) in one word?
10. What is your favourite type of coffee to drink?
I love cappuccinos in the morning and black coffee in the afternoon (the opposite of the traditional way, i know).
11. What is your next favourite beverage to drink?
12. Coffee is best with…?
13. What is the funniest / most embarrassing moment you’ve had at work?
My most embarrassing moment here must have been a really hot summer day when I was wearing pants that were not jeans (tights are not pants!) and Tim called me out on it and said it looked like I just had gotten out of bed and was wearing my PJs.
14. What has been the most rewarding experience you’ve had at work?
The most rewarding experience must be all the knowledge I now have about coffee and good service that Tim and Stephanie have taught me over the years.
15. What do you do in your spare time, when you’re not working at Tim Wendelboe? Any special interests, hobbies, skills?
In my spare time I like to travel, eat nice dinners, drink wine and pet my cat.
16. If you weren’t working at Tim Wendelboe, what other career would you want to have?
I have actually just resigned from my position and I am gonna start my sommelier course next year, so I am going to pursue another service career. I am so sad to leave this place, but sometimes that’s the right thing to do.
17. What was your first ever impression of coffee?
I didn’t like coffee before I started working with it!
18. What does an average day look like for you at Tim Wendelboe?
My average day can vary from where I am stationed, it can be an event, a course, a packing shift or a day in the bar.
19. What does coffee mean to you?
I like that coffee is a craft, and that is based on intuition after working with the equipment for a long time, it’s like you can feel when something is right or off.
20. If you could travel to any one of our origin countries, which one would you pick?
Kenya! I have travelled a little around the southern part of Africa already, but I really want to visit Kenya and the surrounding countries. There is a lot of uniqueness to how the coffee is produced here and there’s also tonnes of exciting wildlife.
21. Filter or Espresso?
22. Fruity or Chocolaty?
23. Do you have any guilty pleasures when it comes to drinking coffee outside of Tim Wendelboe, or are you a diehard Tim Wendelboe coffee drinker only?
I am honestly a die hard TW fan.
24. There is a Japanese word called “ikigai” which means, “the reason you get out of bed in the morning”, i.e. what inspires you in life. What gets you out of bed in the morning?
Usually my cat who wakes up super early and makes sure to step all over my face in order to wake me up too.
15. If you could have coffee with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
If I could bring back David Bowie, I would love to share a nice brew with him.
That’s it’s and that’s all for now! We hope you enjoyed getting to know a little bit more about Rikke. If you wish to get to know more of the people behind the scenes here at Tim Wendelboe, stay tuned by following us on Instagram (@timwendelboe) and Facebook. We will notify you when the next team story is ready for you to enjoy with your cup of coffee…